Monday 10 November 2008

Stereotypes, snakes, and Whitesnake.

Latest news on my new snake, the plan of action is to get him tonight. I've spoken to the breeder and she's got six for me to choose from, and is going to let me play with the adults for a bit too. Joy. The vivarium's all set up and raring to go, and I have some little baby mice in the freezer (aw). I've chosen a name for him, and that name is Gary. I say him - they haven't been sexed yet, but I figure Gary's just as good a name for a girl, right?

However, as exciting as my new acquisition is, it's raised a few issues. Being a fan of heavy metal, recently getting heavily into Guitar Hero (I'm well stuck on Welcome To The Jungle on Expert - any tips?), enjoying the odd smoke, living in a loft, having a pet snake: am I becoming a tired "rocker" stereotype? I certainly hope not, but if you throw in my love of 80s cartoons and Batman comics, it looks more and more likely. Should I embrace my stereotypical existence, knowing that it is at least my existence, and that I just happen to have turned out like this, or should I take up knitting to buck the trend?

Speaking of 80s cartoons mind, last night I watched Transformers: The Movie for the first time since 1990. I didn't realise back then, but it's essentially an hour and a half of 80s power-metal ballad-backed fighting. Awesome! And Lion's theme tune is fantastic. Apparently the guitarist is one Doug Aldrich, who for the last five years has been lead guitarist for Whitesnake. Filling Steve Vai's shoes - now that's a tall order.

Here is the erstwhile Mr Aldrich:


At least I'm not the only stereotype, eh?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Y'know, when I realised that I was the 'nice Christian girl' stereotype, I decided to weasel my way out of it. Hence the love of motorbikes, goth fashion, and (inexplicably) beatboxing.

I say you should stick with your stereotype; at least you'll never have an identity crisis. It's hard to forget who you are when you're being relentlessly parodied in webcomics.

DanX said...

That's true I guess. It is a good webcomic too. And it's not like I tried to be a stereotype, it just happened. It's not like I could stop loving what I love. At least I don't have the metal hair.

Oh how I wish I had the metal hair! Science damn you hairline recession!

Gav said...

I have the metal hair,
in potentia as it were,
I hope it grows magnificent,
before falling to the dirt

DanX said...

I envy you so much. However, I also plan to live vicariously through you. So grow it Gav, down to the floor! You know you want to!