Tuesday 11 November 2008

Gary "The Nipper" McSlitherson

Gary has arrived! And he's beautiful.

Went to Newport last night to pick him up, and got to choose from six snakes. The father has a beautiful pattern of blotches on him, and the mother is orange, so Gary has the best of both worlds - the same pattern as Daddy, but with orange patches rather than brown. Pictures will be along shortly.

He's a feisty little blighter, hence his nickname (the breeder I got him from was calling him Nipper). He's still a little shell-shocked from the move, but he fed last night and seemed pretty satisfied with his new surroundings. He had a bit of a strike at me this morning, but as he gets used to being handled he'll be better able to differentiate my hands from food. At the moment he's about a foot long, and really skinny, but apparently they can grow up to an inch every week! Eventually he'll be between four and six foot, and might even live into his early twenties. A snake, it would seem, is for life, and not just for Christmas.

Watching him feed is amazing. At the moment he'll eat twice a week, but a fully grown corn snake only needs to eat once every two weeks. Imagine eating two weeks worth of food in one go, and swallowing it whole to boot! That's a lot of Wispas. No wonder they need to chill out for a couple of days after that!

11 comments:

Juniper said...

Whoop! How very exciting!

However I have now decided I'm never coming over to your house again. I'm a little scared of snakes.

DanX said...

But he'd love to meet you. And he's ony teeny at the moment.

Juniper said...

Will he bite me? Maybe if I can just peep in the box to see him but you promise not to get him out whilst i'm there..?

I don't want to scream if he moves and scare the little chap...

DanX said...

He might bite, but he doesn't have teeth, just a needley-type thing that he uses to swallow his prey. I haven't handled him yet, because you're supposed to leave them alone for two days after they eat so they can digest. He'll be nippy at first, but he'll get used to the handling.

I won't get my snake out in front of you though Jenni, if you're scared of it ;)

Juniper said...

That's what he said...

Gav said...

I'm pleased for you, but if it comes near me, it will get the People's Elbow

Or I'll run screaming from the room

Guess I don't know until it happens!

DanX said...

Gav old boy, I'm shocked. I thought you'd be fine with a mere snake.

Besides, the People's Elbow would be useless, he'd DDT you first, Jake "The Snake" Roberts stylee.

Juniper said...

See Dan? No-one wants to see your snake...

DanX said...

That's not what your Dad said, Jenni.

Juniper said...

Grrrrr

My dad would never touch you. Phil 'The Power' Taylor has far better taste.

Unknown said...

I met the snake! I met the snake!

It's tiny. And very cute. I like snakes, anyway, I'm not wussy like you guys.